Ring of Honor Cody Rhodes has issued a statement clarifying his recent reactions to WWE reviving Starrcade and War Games, two creations of his late father, the “American Dream” Dusty Rhdoes.
When WWE announced that Starrcade will be returning next month as a special SmackDown live event from Greensboro, North Carolina, Cody and his wife Brandi were initially critical of the news. Brandi wrote on Twitter”
Starrcade was created and delivered by Dusty Rhodes. WWE didn't want to do it while he was here. Now they want to do it and not give credit? pic.twitter.com/5ZLsoptjHE
— Brandi Rhodes (@TheBrandiRhodes) September 18, 2017
Earlier this week, it was revealed that the next NXT Takeover show during Survivor Series weekend will feature the first-ever War Games match in WWE. Cody noted on Twitter that “he was told” ahead of WWE’s announcement, but he’s received some criticism on social media and Reddit for being overly protective of WWE using Dusty’s creations.
On Saturday, Cody tweeted the following statement (our formatting added):
“Received a lot of praise, but also a good deal of criticism in regards to my remakrs on Starrcade & War Games…with that said I’d like to clarify my position and clear up some confusion.
As I try to climb the ladder in my sport, with every arena I walk into, I carry my Father’s legacy. It is also my job to protect it. Literally. As head of his estate, I try to always honor and never exploit. There’s no guidebook on how I’m supposed to do that. I loved him. He was my best friend and his death was a shock. My comments are certainly from the heart, but they are measured and I stand by them.
Nobody ever claimed they needed me or Michelle’s permission. “I was told” doesn’t mean anything more than that. They didn’t have to, but they did and for that I am thankful.
Dusty didn’t just name/grid/book these events…he gave them life. Starrcade he did in honor of my sister, Teil. The PPV era would have come much later without the direct consequences of closed circut and the large scale event concept.
HOWEVER, I do understand that to the victor goes the spoilers, and that my Dad’s many many creations for Jim Crockett Promotions and later WCW…they belong to WWE. They can do with them what they choose. That doesn’t mean I always have to like it though.
If my Father had not been a public figure, I wouldn’t have to share him with the millions of wrestling fans out there. But I gladly do share him. I want generations of fans to know what he brought…because I feel it’s a beautiful legacy filled with treasures.”
Here goes… pic.twitter.com/c5mvR4MEqN
— Cody Rhodes (@CodyRhodes) October 7, 2017