This Sunday will be the 13th edition of WWE’s Backlash PPV. It seems fitting then to take a look at some of the biggest moments in the PPV’s history.
Backlash’s Biggest Moments
- The first Backlash took place on April 25th, 1999. On that night Steve Austin successfully defended the WWE championship against the Rock. This was just one month after Austin had defeated the Rock for the title at WrestleMania 15. This was during the Rock’s “Corporate Champ” phase.
- In the 2000 version of the event, the Rock had turned face, while Triple H was now aligned with Vince & Stephanie. Triple H had won the title the previous month at WrestleMania. The corporation tried to help HHH win here, but Austin evened up the odds and helped Rock win the title.
- In 2001, it was one month after Austin’s controversial heel turn. He teamed up with HHH in the main event of this show, and they defeated the Brothers of Destruction.
- Backlash 2002 saw the return of Hulkamania. Hogan received a thunderous ovation at WrestleMania 18 in Toronto, so the company brought back the red and yellow for this event. Hogan defeated HHH in the main event of this show to win the WWE championship.
- Backlash 2003 was the WWE PPV debut of Goldberg. He had been announced as coming to the WWE at the previous month’s WrestleMania. Goldberg started off his WWE career here by defeating the Rock in the main event.
- Backlash 2004 was a rematch of the main event of WrestleMania 20. The same result happened as well, as Chris Benoit defended the world championship in a 3-way match against HBK and HHH. Benoit had won the title at the previous month’s WrestleMania.
- Backlash 2005 saw Batista defeat HHH in the main event, but also a controversial angle with Hogan and HBK teaming up to defeat Davairi and Muhammad Hassan.
- Backlash 2006 featured John Cena successfully defending his newly won world championship against HHH and Edge, who was now the Rated R Superstar along with Lita.
- Backlash 2007 was a multi-brand PPV. Cena defended his title against Orton, Edge, and HBK, while Batista and the Undertaker went to a draw in a Last Man Standing match for the world heavyweight title.
- 2008 was another multi-brand PPV year. Undertaker defended against Edge, and HHH defeated Orton, Edge, and JBL to win the title from Orton.
- Backlash 2009, saw Edge win the title from Cena, as well as Evolution take on Randy Orton’s Legacy faction.
- Backlash then went on a 7 year hiatus until it returned last September.
- In 2016, AJ Styles beat Dean Ambrose to win the WWE championship
- Also, Heath Slater and Rhyno to win the tag titles.
- Becky Lynch won the 6-pack challenge to become the inaugural Smackdown women’s champion.