The War Games match on Saturday will not follow the traditional format completely. A few rules have been tweaked.
On a media call yesterday, Triple H clarified there will be no roof on top of the cage as there has been in previous matches in addition to rule-changes which had previously been announced.
Triple H on the War Games Match Having A Roof
On Rule Changes:
“Anytime that you’ve had 20 years between something, you have the opportunity to do it in a slightly modified way. Whether that’s making it better, which is hopefully what [we’ve done],” he said. “I’m not saying that there were things that needed to be fixed but there were things that there were some concerns about and we wanted to change those and tweak them up.”
On having 3 Teams:
“It worked for us in this 3-team scenario because of the way the storyline was written. When the opportunity came up to do WarGames, the storyline naturally fit with the three groups being in there.”
On not having a roof:
“We’re not going to have a roof,” he said. “I think it’s a little bit limiting, I think the style has changed. I’m not saying that anyone’s going to do it in this match, but I think going forward, I try to think about the future. Look, Arn Anderson wasn’t doing moonsaults off the top of a cage. This allows for there to be a little bit of a different opportunity there to do some things.”
On a side note, HHH had previously mentioned Vince McMahon did not like the idea of having a roof when he pitched it to him.
On keeping true to the War Games Concept
“I don’t think personally that we’ve changed the concept of what it is, there are some small tweaks but I think they work better in today’s generation than it did in the format that was originally used.”
Official War Games Rules for Saturday
WWE has published the official rules for Saturday’s War Games Event:
“The rules of the match are as follows:
- The three-member teams of SAnitY (Eric Young, Alexander Wolfe & Killian Dain), Undisputed ERA (Adam Cole, Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly), and The Authors of Pain (Akam & Rezar) & Roderick Strong will wage war inside a massive steel cage that surrounds TWO rings.
- All three teams will be contained inside separate shark cages by the entranceway, with a member from each team (as chosen by his respective squad) starting the match.
- After five minutes, the remaining members from one team will be released from their shark cage and allowed to enter the match.
- When another three-minute period elapses, the remaining members from a second team are released from their shark cage and enter the match.
- Following another three-minute period, the final team’s members are released from their shark cage and enter the match.
- Once all three teams have entered the WarGames Match, a victory can be attained via pinfall or submission.”