WWE’s SummerSlam pay-per-view (PPV) is right around the corner. This year’s “Biggest Party Of The Summer” goes down from the Barclays Center in the Brooklyn, New York on August 19, 2018.
The card is full of great bouts and pivotal match-ups. This year’s card, however, will be greatly different from those of years’ past. It was noted by the WrestleVotes Twitter account that something about this year’s show will break a 30-year streak.
It will be the first SummerSlam not to feature John Cena, The Undertaker, Triple H or Bret Hart in the past 31 years:
Currently, as is, this will be the first SummerSlam ever to not feature one of these 4 superstars: Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Triple H or John Cena. In the past 31 years, the card has incldued at least one of them. pic.twitter.com/ZhwfgPrGhH
— WrestleVotes (@WrestleVotes) August 9, 2018
As it stands, the only two stars who have the slightest possibility of appearing are Cena and Taker.
The pair went one-on-one at WrestleMania 34 in April. Undertaker defeated Cena in a squash match at the New Orleans event. Cena has since expressed interest in a rematch to avenge the loss. Its been rumored that a possible rematch could happen at SummerSlam.
Undertaker even teased the rematch in a recent Instagram post. As of this writing, however, it doesn’t seem like Cena vs. Taker is a possibility for SummerSlam. Triple H isn’t involved in any WWE storylines at the moment, so a match for him wouldn’t make sense.
Finally, Bret Hart has long been retired from in-ring competition and won’t be competing either. With all that being said, it looks like this year’s SummerSlam will be the end of an era.
The SummerSlam Card
Check out SummerSlam’s full match card thus far below:
- WWE Universal Championship: (C) Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns
- WWE Championship: (C) AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe
- WWE RAW Women’s Championship: (C) Alexa Bliss vs. Ronda Rousey
- WWE Intercontinental Championship: (C) Dolph Ziggler vs. Seth Rollins
- WWE United States Championship: (C) Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Jeff Hardy
- WWE SmackDown Women’s Championship: (C) Carmella vs. Becky Lynch Charlotte Flair – Triple Threat Match
- Kevin Owens vs. Braun Strowman – if Owens wins then he gets the MITB contract
- Finn Balor vs. Baron Corbin
- WWE Cruiserweight Championship: (C) Cedric Alexander vs. Drew Gulak
- Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz
- WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship: (C) The Bludgeon Brothers vs. The New Day