Backstage Update On Ilja Dragunov’s WWE Exit

ByAndrew RavensProfessional Wrestling Journalist

Ilja Dragunov’s WWE exit is confirmed, and Bryan Alvarez says more contracts are close behind.

WWE has moved Dragunov to the alumni section of its website, which usually settles the question. Fightful Select has confirmed PWInsider’s report that his deal expired and that he was removed from the internal roster this week.

False Finish reports that WWE wanted to keep him and that Dragunov chose to let the contract run out. Alvarez adds that the two sides were still in talks earlier this summer.

Not sure what ended up happening but Ilja and WWE were said to be strongly negotiating a return as recently as June.

That detail matters for how the absence is read. A fan account claimed a fortnight ago that WWE had pulled Dragunov off television because he refused an extension, and Sean Ross Sapp publicly dismissed it.

Alvarez also told subscribers that Dragunov may not be the last.

There are a few other main roster contracts of people who haven’t been on TV much coming due in October.

He did not name anyone.

Dragunov signed with WWE in early 2019 for NXT UK and won the NXT UK, NXT and United States Championships. He beat Sami Zayn for the US title in October last year in his first match back from a torn ACL, held it 63 days, and lost it to Carmelo Hayes. His last match was the André the Giant Memorial Battle Royal on the April 17 SmackDown.

Whether his deal carries a 90-day non-compete has not been reported.