23-year-old NXT Superstar, Lio Rush, earned some criticism last year following the release of Australian Superstar, Emma, AKA Tenille Dashwood.
Emma had lost two consecutive losses in a row to Asuka before being released last October. Rush took to Twitter and offered an ill-timed comment on her release:
“I guess these are the things that happen when you’re not TRULY ready for @WWEAsuka” his Tweet read.
Several WWE Superstars were critical of his comments. Peyton Royce and Bray Wyatt both publicly responded to him.
Wow, kid. Didn’t you just get here? Professionalism goes a long way.
— Peyton Royce (@PeytonRoyceWWE) October 29, 2017
You aint gonna make it here with the wolves, kid.
— Bray Wyatt (@WWEBrayWyatt) October 29, 2017
Lio Rush Comments On Learning From Mistake
Rush spoke with ESPN recently about how the backlash to his comment affected him.
“It was definitely a difficult situation,” he said. “I’ve worked so hard and spent years trying to brand myself and to show the world that Lio Rush is a top prospect in the professional wrestling world. So it was a bit rough to see so many people turn on me for that, but I’ve owned up to my mistakes.
“I have said my apologies. What else can you do? You live, you make mistakes and you learn,” Rush continued. “I know a big thing that I tweeted out shortly after that — ‘a mistake shouldn’t be your attacker, it should be your teacher.’ I’ve definitely learned from that situation. I definitely have not let that situation change the pacing of me succeeding in anything.”
Rush competes mainly on the NXT live tour. So far, he’s only appeared on NXT programming twice. He’s lost to Lars Sullivan and the Velveteen Dream.
William Regal stated the following in regard to Rush’s comments about Emma last year:
“We all make mistakes. All the people who’ve had “heat” or problems, have I ever joined in with the pack on you? Perhaps a chat and a bit of guidance would be better. Being a Pro comes in many ways in and out of the ring.”