New Japan Pro Wrestling’s last big tournament of the year is the World Tag League. The promotion just announced the participating teams and format change for this year.
Change of format:
The World Tag League will undergo a format change this year. Instead of two divisions (blocks) all teams will be grouped together with the top two teams advancing to the finals.
World Tag League Teams
- David Finlay & Juice Robinson
- Shota Umino & Ayato Yoshida (Young Lions)
- Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan
- Manabu Nakanishi & Yuji Nagata
- Chuckie T & Beretta
- Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
- Takashi Iizuka & Minoru Suzuki
- Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Lance Archer
- Toru Yano & Tomohiro Ishii
- Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.
- Jeff Cobb & Michael Elgin
- Sanada & Evil
- Togi Makabe & Toa Henare
- Hangman Page vs Yujiro Takahashi
Former IWGP Heavyweight tag-team champions, the Young Bucks, will not be on the tour. Matt Jackson took to Twitter earlier this month to explain why he and his brother won’t be participating in the tournament.
“Truthfully we were never even offered the tour,” Matt Jackson said. “But yes, it wouldn’t make sense to leave our families for close to 4 weeks during the holidays for many reasons; finances only being one amongst many.”
The Young Bucks dropped the tag titles to the Guerillas of Destiny in September.