New Japan Pro-Wrestling’s annual summer tournament will take place in the fall of 2020 next year. While the tournament usually runs between July and August, many of the venues NJPW uses for the tournament will be occupied due to the 2020 Olympics being held Japan. According to a recent report from the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the plan is for NJPW to move next year’s tournament to the fall.
“Because of the Olympics in 2020, which takes place in August and most of the key arenas will be used, the decision has been made to move G-1 to the fall next year,” wrote Dave Meltzer.
The 2020 Olympics are scheduled to run from July 24th to August 9th, 2019 in Japan. It is not clear how the G1 being pushed back would impact NJPW’s regular fall events such as the Destruction tour.
The next big show for NJPW takes place this Saturday from London’s Copper Box Arena:
NJPW Royal Quest- August 31st, 2019
- Ren Narita, Shota Umino, Ryusuke Taguchi vs SHO, YOH, & Rocky Romero
- Juice Robinson & Kota Ibushi vs Hikuleo & Yujiro Takahashi
- Robbie Eagles & Will Ospreay vs El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori
- SANADA & Tetsuya Naito vs Chase Owens & Jay White
- IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championships
Guerillas of Destiny (c) vs TBD
- NEVER Openweight Championship
Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs KENTA
- British Heavyweight Championship
Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
- IWGP Heavyweight Championship
Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Minoru Suzuki