NXT this week came from Full Sail University. The featured match was between Drew McIntyre and Killian Dain, with the winner moving on to meet Bobby Roode at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III.
There was also an important match in the women’s division last night, as Ember Moon took on Ruby Riot.
July 19th 2017
Full Sail University
1. Ruby Riot vs. Ember Moon
- Asuka resorted to under-handed, dirty tactics to beat Ember Moon in their title match, leading Moon to believe she deserves a rematch.
- Ruby Riot on the other hand, has never been given a singles match for the NXT women’s championship, so she believes she should be the next to challenge Asuka. Hence, the two met here.
- The match was fairly even, with Riot getting a couple of near-falls.
- In the end however, Ember Moon hit the Eclipse, picked up the win, and will move on to meet Asuka next month.
Winner: Ember Moon
- A backstage clip is shown of Hideo Itami confronting Kassius Ohno about having requested a match against him next week. Itami kicked a garbage can, spoke in Japanese, and left the room.
- A vignette for the “Street Profits” aired.
2. Oney Lorcan vs. Danny Burch
- These two guys beat each other up. Burch’s nose even got busted open.
- Lorcan got the tapout victory with a rolling single-leg crab. Mauro mentioned that Lorcan was trained by Lance Storm, who used the same move as a finish up until he started using the Sharpshooter.
- After the match, Burch challenged Lorcan to one more match. His offer was accepted.
Winner: Oney Lorcan via submission
3. No Way Jose vs. Cezar Bononi
- No highlights were posted for this match.
- No Way Jose picked up the win here with a pop-up punch to the face.
- This was pretty much a squash match.
- After the match, Andrade “Cien” Almas hit the ring (w/Thea Trinidad) and beat up Bononi.
- This caused No Way Jose to make the save and drive Almas out of the ring.
- Jose and Almas jawed at each other a bit as the segment ended.
Winner: No Way Jose
4. NXT Championship #1 Contenders Match
Drew McIntyre vs. Killian Dain (SAnitY)
- Mauro mentioned on commentary that the reason they are being given this opportunity is because they are both undefeated.
- Dain had the early advantage in the match, using mainly power moves and clubbing blows until Drew made a comeback.
- McIntyre hit a move Mauro referred to as a “Finlay Drop” after Fit Finlay.
- Dain hit a fisherman suplex from the 2nd rope.
- McIntyre hit a double-arm DDT, which I’m pretty sure was his finisher in his previous stint with WWE. Dain kicked out at 1 however.
- Finally the end of the match came when McIntyre hit his Claymore kick, only for Dain to get right back up, then Drew hit him with another and pinned him.
- McIntyre will now meet Bobby Roode at Takeover: Brooklyn.
Winner: Drew McIntyre