WWE Not Happy They Were Blamed For Sabotaging ROH-MSG Deal

g1-supercard-msg
Ring of Honor & New Japan Pro Wrestling present G1 Supercard from Madison Square Garden (4.6.19)

Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling will be running a super-card from Madison Square Garden next year. The G1 Supercard will be held on April 6th, 2019.

While the deal is now official, it almost didn’t happen. There were reports that WWE initially prevented a deal between the famous venue and the two wrestling promotions.

“We had a deal with [Madison Square] Garden and they then told us they were backing out after communications from the WWE,” ROH COO Jeff Coff told PWInsider last month.

WWE is apparently not happy they were blamed for the initial deal following through.

ROH/NJPW in Madison Square Garden

A report from Sports Illustrated is stating WWE is not happy with how they are being portrayed publicly in regards to the deal.

WWE was not happy they were blamed for having anything to do with ROH’s pursuit of Madison Square Garden,” the report reads. “Multiple industry sources also verified that MSG officials found WWE very cooperative during the entire process.”

WWE released the following statement on ROH & NJPW working with MSG:  “MSG is, of course, free to work with ROH however they want.”

G1 Supercard at Madison Square Garden

So far, only Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito, and Kazuchika Okada have been confirmed for the show.

“We are thrilled to welcome Ring of Honor Wrestling and New Japan Pro Wrestling to Madison Square Garden for the much anticipated G1 Supercard,” said Executive Vice President of MSG Marquee Events, Joel Fisher. “We expect April 6 to be another memorable night of wrestling at ‘The World’s Most Famous Arena.’”

Ring of Honor has a couple of shows this weekend. They are in Nashville tomorrow night and then return to Atlanta for television tapings on Saturday. NJPW just completed night 4 of their 19-show G1 Climax 28 tournament. It was the first of 3 straight shows in Korakuen Hall.