The December 5th edition of WWE SmackDown Live took place at the Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, CA.
– The intro video rolls and we’re live from the Valley View Casino Center in San Diego. Tom Phillips, Corey Graves and Byron Saxton are on commentary.
– Kevin Owens with Sami Zayn come out to the ring to kick off the show. We see a recap of last week’s main event where Sami helped Owens beat Randy Orton. They step into the ring and they’ve got microphones. Owens welcomes us to The Sami & Kevin Show, talks about how they are the latest victims of the “McMahon family wrath.” He talks about Shane trying to use Orton to do his dirty work and trying to end his career. Sami adds that not too long ago it was his sister Stephanie using Orton this way on RAW, so it’s nothing new. Owens says they have to fight for their opportunities, while Orton is handed his. Sami talks trash to some of the announcers and other ringside personnel, then walks around to the ramp and shows where he destroyed Orton last week. As Owens is watching from the ring, Orton suddenly appears out of nowhere and hits an RKO on Kevin. Sami is stunned on the ramp and Orton stares him down. Shane McMahon comes out to try to calm things down, and gets on the mic and says he doesn’t have a vendetta against Sami or Kevin. Shane says he’s giving them a chance at the Clash of Champions in two weeks to team up against Orton and a partner of his choosing. Also, Shane books Zayn vs. Orton tonight to settle the score from last week. Shane adds that Owens will be handcuffed to the ring rope for the match, and wishes Sami good luck. Owens is still recovering in the ring as Shane’s music hits and he leaves.
– Bobby Roode vs. Baron Corbin, and also The New Day vs. Rusev & Aiden English are promoted for tonight.
– We go backstage where Owens asks Sami to explain what Shane just said. Owens isn’t happy about having to be handcuffed to the rope during Sami’s match against Orton. Owens says he’s going to go find SmackDown GM Daniel Bryan to make this right.
– The New Day vs. Rusev & Aiden English: Before the match, English treats everyone to a song about the 12 Days of Rusev for Christmas. The New Day Interrupts, and it’s on. Big E and Kofi are in this one, and Xavier is watching from ringside with Francesca. Big E overpowers English early on and grinds on him, then slams him down. Kofi tags in and continues the offense on English. Kofi hits a springboard crossbody for a near fall, then continues the beat down. Kofi goes for the Boom Drop, but Rusev pulls English out of the way. Rusev and English take a breather on the floor while the New Day taunt them from the ring. Rusev tags in and takes control of the match against Kofi. Big E and English tag in and Big E gets the better of their exchange and starts nailing suplexes. Big E dances then hits the big splash on English. Big E looks for the Big Ending, but English rakes the eyes. Rusev tags in, but Big E catches him off guard with a suplex for a two count. Kofi tags in, but Rusev pulls Big E outside and whips him into the ring steps. Kofi comes flying out of the ring with a suicide dive on Rusev on the floor, then takes him back in the ring. Kofi boots English off the apron, then comes for Rusev but Rusev takes him down. Rusev hits a big boot to the back of the head for the win.
Winners: Rusev and Aiden English
– We see footage of Mojo Rawley turning on Zack Ryder last week, and then we go to an interview with him and Renee Young. Mojo says Ryder got hurt right when things were going well for Mojo, and when he returned he was dead weight and just held him back. Mojo says he’s a serious competitor, and he’s not just someone’s tag partner. Mojo says he wants to issue a challenge to the locker room — if they don’t like him beating down Ryder from behind last week, they can fight him over it.
– Orton vs. Zayn, with Owens handcuffed to the ring rope, is promoted for later tonight.
– Daniel Bryan is backstage with Carmella, Lana and Tamina. Carmella says she rid the world of James Ellsworth, so she deserves a title shot at Clash of Champions. Lana then makes the case for Tamina deserving the spot. Bryan says Natalya vs. Charlotte is already officially made for the PPV, and then The Riott Squad walks in. Ruby Riott says she pinned Flair so she should get the title shot. They women start arguing until Bryan yells at them and says the women’s title match at Clash will now be a lumberjack match, with all of them at ringside.
– Bobby Roode and U.S. Champ Baron Corbin exchange words backstage ahead of tonight’s non-title match. Dolph Ziggler walks in and talks about being added to their match at Clash, and he pokes fun at Corbin’s failed Money In The Bank cash-in attempt this year. Ziggler says Corbin and Roode’s odds of winning at Clash just dropped to 0, and he’ll see them in Boston.
– The Bludgeon Brothers vs. Adam James & Josh Carr: Rowan starts this one off and immediately drops one of the enhancement talents with a kick. Harper knocks the other jobber off the apron and decks him with a big lariat. Harper rolls back in and helps Rowan beat down the legal man now. Rowan picks up his own partner Harper and slams him ontop of the legal enhancement talent. Harper now tags in for their double team finisher for the win after a short squash match. Rowan and Harper stand tall in the ring as we go to replays.
Winners: The Bludgeon Brothers
– We see a behind-the-scenes video package of Charlotte working on the “Psych” movie on the USA Network this Thursday.
– Sami is backstage with Owens again, and he’s asking if he talked to Bryan yet. Owens says Bryan said he’d think about it. Sami and Owens hug, but they’re uncertain about the future tonight.
– Bobby Roode vs. Baron Corbin: This one is a non-title match, and Dolph Ziggler is on commentary. They lock up and go back and forth in the opening moments until Corbin takes control after an elbow. Roode fires back with a shot to Corbin’s knee, and sends Corbin to the floor. Corbin fights back into the ring with right hands, and now takes control of the match. Corbin hits a clothesline in the corner and continues working over Roode. Roode fights up and continues to focus his offensive efforts on Corbin’s knee. Roode charges forward but Corbin catches him. Corbin goes for a chokeslam but Roode escapes and hits a boot to the face. Roode misses a shot off the middle rope, then both men go down after colliding with clotheslines. Ziggler runs in now and drops Roode with a Zig Zag. The ref calls for the bell as fans boo.
Winner via DQ: Bobby Roode
– After the match, Ziggler turns his attention to Corbin, and he hits him with the Zig Zag too.
– We go backstage where Natalya approaches Tamina, Lana and Carmella about being lumberjacks at Clash. They don’t seem to be going for her pitch. Ruby Liv and Logan appear behind Natalya, and when Natalya notices she tries sucking up to them. She tries “warning” them about Charlotte, and says she’s honored to share the spotlight with the Riott Squad. Natalya laughs nervously and walks off.
– Charlotte Flair vs. Tamina Snuka: Lana, Carmella and Natalya are all at ringside for this one. Charlotte and Tamina struggle for power in the opening moments, but Charlotte quickly takes control and drops Tamina. Tamina fights back up and whips Charlotte into the corner and out of the ring. Charlotte fights her way back in the ring, but Tamina rams her into the corner and hits a series of shoulder thrusts. Tamina slams her in the corner and taunts her. Tamina controls the next few moments as Lana looks on and nods in approval. Flair starts getting her second wind and hits some chops and a neckbreaker. Flair reverses a Samoan Drop and connects with a big boot on Tamina. Charlotte locks in the Figure Four and Tamina taps out.
Winner: Charlotte Flair
– After the match, Natalya gets on the apron and taunts Charlotte. She tells her to enjoy the taste of victory while she can, because she’ll beat her at Clash. Natalya keeps talking trash, until The Riott Squad interrupts. Ruby says she wants to give Charlotte a preview of what’s in store for her at Clash, and says the Riott Squad are the stars of the show. Sarah Logan shares a quote from her grandpa about people looking nervous, and then Liv Morgan chimes in that Charlotte looks nervous because she knows a riot is about to break out. Tamina has heard enough and she hits Logan, which starts a brawl. Everyone gets pulled apart while Charlotte retreats up the ramp with the Women’s Title.
– Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens approach Daniel Bryan backstage. They start bugging Bryan and Owens says it’s wrong that he’s going to be handcuffed. Security appears with the cuffs, and Bryan says he stands by Shane’s decision. Owens shakes his head as we go to commercial.
– Owens and Sami Zayn are out to ringside with Daniel Bryan and security. Owens refuses to be handcuffed to the rope, but Bryan says he’ll be suspended if he refuses. Owens agrees and throws a fit after the cuffs are locked.
– The announcers run down the card for Clash of Champions as Zayn gets ready for the main event, up next.
– Randy Orton vs. Sami Zayn: The opening bell sounds and Orton backs Zayn into the corner and the fight spills out to ringside early on. Orton launches Sami over the announcers table, then back suplexes Sami on the top of the fan barricade. Orton then suplexes Sami onto the announce table. Back in the ring, Sami goes over to where Owens is cuffed and stays near him. Sami tries to get Orton from behind, but Orton decks him and they fight around ringside some more. Orton slams Sami on the announce table again. Sami comes back and whips Orton into the ring steps. Back in the ring, Sami starts working over Orton before once again taking him outside. Sami continues the offense on Orton and starts trash talking him. Orton starts firing up and hits a powerslam, which prompts Sami to roll outside for a breather. Sami starts looking for weapons, and ends up hitting Orton with a pair of bolt cutters. Sami tries to cut Owens’ cuffs off now, but Orton stops him and beats him down. Orton also gets a shot in on Owens, and Sami capitalizes on the distraction and hits Orton from behind. Sami goes up top, but he’s too slow and Orton knocks him down. Orton goes up and hits a superplex on Sami onto the mat. Owens now has the bolt cutters and breaks his cuff, but Orton immediately drops him. Orton then hits a DDT on Sami and looks for the RKO. Owens comes up on the apron but Orton sees it and kicks him, then looks for the DDT. Sami breaks it up and rolls up Orton for a two count. Orton goes for the RKO, Sami ducks and goes for the Helluva Kick, but Orton ducks that. Orton rolls up Sami out of the corner for the three count.
Winner: Randy Orton
– After the match, Owens attacks Orton from behind. Owens and Sami double team Orton until Nakamura comes out for the save. Nakamura starts handing out kicks and knees to Sami and Kevin, then hits the Kinshasa on Owens. Orton gets up and hits the RKO on Sami. Orton and Nakamura lock eyes, and it seems like they’ll be partners at Clash. Orton then gives Owens an RKO, and Nakamura gives Sami the Kinshasa.
– We go backstage where Shane and Daniel talk about that being a great finish to the show. Daniel asks if Owens and Sami are one being punished now, but Shane says he’s just getting started. Shane says he’ll be the special guest ref for Owens & Sami vs. Orton & Nakamura at Clash of Champions. Shane says if wens and Sami lose, they’ll be fired from all of WWE. Shane and Daniel watch as Orton and Nakamura celebrate and SmackDown goes off the air.