The All Elite Wrestling World Champion Chris Jericho has announced that he’s bringing his alter ego The Painmaker to the company’s weekly show Dynamite this Wednesday.
Jericho is set to defend his title against challenger Darbie Allen on Dynamite this week. He warned Allen on Instagram that he’s going to bring back The Painmaker for him. “So beware […] hell is coming for you,” wrote Jericho.
When Jericho started working in NJPW, he debuted a new persona when he faced Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. In this character, Jericho paints his face and shows a more violent side.
Chris Jericho debuted the Painmaker persona first when he got in a feud with Tetsuya Naito after Wrestle Kingdom 12. The character’s attire involved wearing face paint, a hat, a scarf, a jacket, and leather pants.
At Dominion 6.9 in Osaka-jo Hall, in June 2018, Jericho defeated Naito to win the IWGP Championship. This side of Jericho was shown to being more violent and would often attack his opponents backstage or after they’re down. Seeing this side of Jericho in AEW will be interesting as the character was well received in NJPW. The addition of Painmaker would only enhance Jericho’s presence on the show.
This will also be Jericho’s first title defense as the AEW World Champion.
AEW Dynamite Preview (10/16)
Here is a look at the card for Wednesday night’s show from Philadelphia’s Liacouras Center.
- “The Painmaker” Chris Jericho Darby Allin – Philadelphia Street Fight for the AEW World Heavyweight Championship
- Jon Moxley and PAC vs. Kenny Omega and “Hangman” Adam Page
- SoCal Uncensored vs. Best Friends (AEW Tag Title Tournament, First Round)
- Lucha Bros vs. Jurassic Express (AEW Tag Title Tournament, First Round)
- AEW Women’s Champion Riho vs. Britt Baker